Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Pa Bill

Ever have one of those weeks when you just don't know how much more you can take.... Well, over the weekend I got a call from my aunt letting me know that my grandpa wasn't doing well.....

Back Track ---> August 1st he was rushed to Methodist Hospital in Houston via air ambulance from his home town which is on the border of Texas and Louisiana. Almost a 5 hour drive by car. He had had a heart attack and this hospital was the ONLY one in Texas who would operate on him in his condition. He ended up getting a heart pump put in about 4 weeks after being in CVICU and a pacemaker. He ended up getting a huge bed sore on his backside from laying for so many weeks not able to be moved due to his condition....... Not good for a diabetic!

Back to this weekend..... He has been in the hospital now for a little over 4 months and took a horrible turn this past week. The bed sore caused his entire body to be septic. He just couldn't fit the infection anymore nor was there any other medicine that would work. His liver shut down over the weekend and they were gonna give it about a week on a new med... They were also now having to give him blood since his bone marrow wasn't working. I had already decided I was heading back down there this coming weekend to see him. I got a call on Monday that he wasn't going to make it. They were only going to give him blood pressure meds and some blood to keep him here long enough for us all to make it down there. I was stuck.... Jason had a HUGE job due out at noon.... So my sweet sister paid for me to fly down to Houston; since she was already heading that way and I couldn't leave when she was. I made it to the hospital around 8 pm and went back to be with him..... I was crushed.... I wanted to tell him so much but, I just couldn't. He was in isolation due to his condition so we had to put gowns on and where gloves while we were in there. His sweet nurse was with us the entire time and would tell us what she was taking off of him and what it would do. His entire family was there..... minus a few grandkids. However, we were all around him as he passed. It was so bittersweet being with him watching him take his last breath. He was with me when I took my first and I got to be with him as he took his last. His funeral is Friday and I don't know how I will handle that.

Papa Creamer ~ you will forever be in my heart and I do love you..... There was so much left unspoken between us.

I haven't been up to being online much and don't know when I will.


Jenn said...

Awwww Cathy I am so sorry. Your post is very sad, I am full of tears reading this. I am glad you were able to get there to see him. You are all in my thoughts.

This Country Girl said...

Oh Cathy...I'm so sorry! I have tears in my eyes too! It sounds like you have wonderful memories, and I'm glad you were there, but I know you will miss him deeply! I'll pray for you and your family.


Andrea said...

Cathy I'm so sorry you are going though this, it is heartbreaking. I hope you are doing ok, we will see you next week & Miss Sadie will give you big hugs!

Back in the Day said...

I am so sorry for your loss! I was also with my grandma when she passed and I know what you are going through. I will keep you and your family in my prayers!

Mom in Sahuaritaville said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Cathy!

You're in our thoughts!

Kristine said...

I hope you're feeling a little better about things.
I'm sure your grandpa wouldn't want you to be suffering through this. HUGS

Kerri said...

Cathy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs!